16 Stages of Learning New Music
by Christie Connolley
This pretty accurately documents the joy and pain… the ecstasy and torment… the bliss and misery… that is learning new music….
1) All the excites.
2) You stay up until 3am listening to every recording ever made of said music.
3) Finally fall asleep, dreaming that this new repertoire will catapult you to stardom
4) You have one of these moments while plunking out the melody at the piano.
5) WTF harmonies?
7) WTF hemiola?
8) Forgets words, just say the first foreign word that comes to mind.
9) Feeling mildly confident now.
10) Go in and work with the pianist = crash/burn
11) In a shame cloud, you self-medicate with food
12) Go in to work with coach = crash/burn
13) This inevitably drives you to drink
14) All of a sudden, you unconsciously find yourself singing this damn song correctly in the shower!
15) I actually got this!
16) Premiere to thunderous applause.