WNO Opera in the Outfield is this weekend!
(WASHINGTON, D.C.)—Washington National Opera (WNO) celebrates its fifth season of free opera simulcasts at Nationals Park with the M&M’S® Opera in the Outfield performance of Don Giovanni on Saturday, September 29. Gates open at 5 p.m. for “pregame” activities, including The Fly Ball, co-hosted by Kennedy Center MyTix and Brightest Young Things. The opera will be broadcast live from the Kennedy Center Opera House to the high-definition screen at the ballpark at 7 p.m. Seating will be available on the outfield grass and in the stands.
Attendees are encouraged to arrive early and enjoy the festive ballpark atmosphere. Beginning at 5 p.m., the special pregame entertainment will include:
- Stage-fighting demonstrations led by Don Giovanni fight master Robb Hunter
- Flamenco-dancing performances by Furia Flamenca, led by Estella Velez de Paredez
- For the first time, the Kennedy Center’s MyTix program (for people ages 18-30 and
members of the U.S. military) will partner with the online magazine and event producer Brightest Young Things for The Fly Ball, a free pre-simulcast party in the ballpark’s exclusive Stars & Stripes Club starting at 5 p.m. The event will include great prizes, a ballpark photo booth, concessions, a DJ, and a prime spot to enjoy the simulcast from the covered seating on the Club level. This party is recommended for guests ages 18-30. More information on The Fly Ball is at OperaintheOutfield.org.
- A meet-and-greet with the Chief Chocolate Officer (CCO) of M&M’S®, Miss Brown
- A screening of the Warner Bros. cartoon “What’s Opera Doc?” starring Bugs Bunny. With a libretto set to Wagner’s iconic “Ride of the Valkyries,” this parody of opera is best known for Elmer Fudd’s proclamation “Kill the wabbit!”
- Chances to win prizes, including a VIP suite at Nationals Park for the next Opera in the Outfield, tickets to Kennedy Center performances, a year’s supply of M&M’S® candy, and more.
Registration for the free M&M’S® Opera in the Outfield simulcast at Nationals Park begins today at OperaintheOutfield.org. Attendees who register in advance will be entered to win a Night at the Kennedy Center, including drinks, dinner, and premium tickets to the opening night of WNO’s Show Boat. (Registration is encouraged but not required for admission into Nationals Park; walk-ins are welcome.) Groups of 10 or more can call the Kennedy Center’s Group Sales Office at (202) 416-8400 to arrange for a reserved seating section at Nationals Park. The group’s name may appear on the video board during intermission.
Regular concessions will be available throughout the stadium, and special picnic baskets can be ordered in advance. Menus and order forms are available at OperaintheOutfield.org.
Hosted for the third year in a row by ABC7/WJLA-TV news anchor and Emmy Award- winner Cynné Simpson, Don Giovanni will be broadcast live to the Nationals’ state-of-the-art HD video board, which at 4,811 square feet is among the largest in the country. The opera is performed in Italian with English subtitles. M&M’S® Opera in the Outfield will take place rain or shine—in case of inclement weather, covered seating is available.
In May 2013, WNO will present the second Opera in the Outfield free simulcast of the season—the company premiere and new production of the classic American opera Show Boat, directed by WNO Artistic Advisor Francesca Zambello. The performance date for the May live broadcast will be announced at Nationals Park on September 29.